Saturday, July 2, 2011

Am I crazy?

So, My name is Travis. I am 38 years old. I'm about 5' 7"ish and around 240 lbs. Its that 240 lbs mark that has been bothering me. I got to thinking the other day about how out of shape I am. Which to be honest is not a stretch considering how much I hate to exercise. Anyway, I was looking thru my facebook account and ran across an event that caught my eye. The name of the event is the Tough Mudder. http://toughmudder.com/ As I was looking at the website I realized something. I wanted to do this!  I dont' know if maybe I have started a mid-life crisis mode early or what. Am I crazy? Well, my wife Angie definitely thinks so! Any way. I started asking a few folks if they would be interested in doing this with me. One said sure, another said he would rather hike 40 miles on the Appalachian trail, another is thinking about it and a few have not yet returned my messages. What has so far drawn me to this is the fact it is a team competition. I love that kind of stuff or so I used to. A little running(yuck), some obstacles(Whoohoo) a little more running (out of breath already) and more obstacles (Yea!!!???). Get the picture? This is the kind of thing that would keep my attention! The problem is the course is anywhere from 7-10 miles. That means more running(bleh....) and I am not in the best of shape. So like every other person on the planet, I decided to blog about this! This is hopefully going to be how I track how I am doing and let you know my struggles and accomplishments. I figure it this way. I am pushing 40 and have not really had a decent goal in years. The two big goals in my life, getting married and having kiddos is already behind me(that is another adventure in and of itself) but I don't have a personal goal to work toward. As of today, I do.  So without further ado.... Here is how day one of training has gone.

Day 1- Woke about 6:15, rolled over looked at the silent alarm clock and wondered why in the world I am up this early on a weekend. I woke up Angie and said lets go. 20 minutes later we got up and got ready to run. Now mind you I loathe running. Always have. To me it is the most boring thing in the world. I hear people say things like" you feel great while you are running" or " if you run outside you see all the beautiful things God has created while you are running" After this morning.. I ain't buying either of those! So we take off and I decide to use a run walk pattern to build up endurance. That is the best why to do it, so I am told. So I walk for 4 minutes, no big deal, then the phone goes off and tells me its time to run. So off I go. I am supposed to run for 2 minutes. Well I got about 1 1/2 minutes in before I had to quit. Apparently 240 lbs does not run well. So I am breathing heavy and back to walking and trying to pull oxygen into my lungs. Now mind you I am not running full out. I figure I would have to be insane to do that. but I am at a decent pace. Luckily, Angie knows about running so I have a great coach while I am killing myself. I start again after the 4 minutes is up and this time it is a little easier. Still can't make the 2 minutes mark but I am not dying this time so I am feeling OK. I did this about 3 more times and much to my dismay I am doing OK.  I apparently still can't breathe after the running but I am running and I don't feel like I am dying, too badly anyway. Did about a mile this morning and I feel pretty good! Considering this is day one I feel OK. I made it back home in one piece and I don't feel like I need to pass out on the couch! So this is day one and I am on my way to do this crazy competition. Yes, I am crazy but I intend to have fun while I am training for this!

2 comments:

  1. You have inspired me. I am now considering becoming a "life coach."
    You should buy Angie and electric cattle prod. This will probably exponentially accelerate your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Have you heard of the "Couch to 5K" running plan? I think it would be ideal for you. :-)

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    ReplyDelete